Effective April 22, 2024, we are relocating our Wilmington, Delaware office to the following New Castle location:

10 Corporate Circle, Suite 301
New Castle, DE 19720


What Should I Do if My Friend Crashed My Car?

friend crashed car

Many people want to help their friends when they are in need. Sometimes, your friend may want to use your car. However, if you loan your car, your friend make get into a car accident. If that happens, what do you do? Whether it is their fault or the fault of a negligent driver, you may have a lot of questions about whose insurance covers the damages and whether or not your insurance will support you. There are many scenarios where your insurance or the other driver’s insurance will cover the damages.

There are two types of coverage that may come into play if your friend crashes your car. Many people do not know the difference between liability and collision coverage. Liability covers any damages that you have caused. There is a minimum amount of liability required for all vehicles in all states. Collision coverage is optional and covers any damage to your vehicle. Some people do not have collision coverage because it costs extra and is not required by law.

In most cases, your automobile insurance company will cover any accident in which your car was involved because insurance usually follows the car. However, this is assuming your friend had your permission to drive the car. The concept of a “permissive driver” is simple. If they had permission and did not drive your vehicle on a regular basis, then your insurance will take effect and cover any accident up to the policy limit.

You do not need to be present in the vehicle for your insurance to apply. If your policy limits are not enough to cover all of the damages caused in the collision, then your friend’s automobile insurance policy might come into play and cover the rest of the damages. However, this may be a problem if your friend does not have insurance or the assets to cover the damages.

When Will Insurance Not Cover the Accident?

There are some instances where your vehicle’s insurance will not cover the accident:

  • Your friend did not have permission to drive your car. If this is the case, then your friend’s insurance will likely cover the accident. It then becomes a factual argument as to whether or not you gave your friend permission. Was your friend mistaken about being allowed to use your car? Did you allow them to use it in the past? All of these issues will have to be addressed.
  • Your friend is a designated excluded driver on the policy. Most insurance companies will allow their insureds to specifically exclude people from being covered under the policy.
  • Your friend does not have a valid driver’s license. If your friend does not have a driver’s license or the license expired or has been suspended, then your insurance policy will not cover the accident. Also, if your friend caused the accident and you knew they did not have a valid driver’s license, then you could be held responsible for any damages.
  • Your friend was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Also, if you knew your friend was drinking alcohol or under the influence of drugs and you let them use your car anyway, then you could also be held responsible for any damages.

Additionally, even though you were not in the vehicle and were not driving, most likely, your insurance rates will go up, but that will depend upon your particular insurance company. If they attempt to raise the rates, you may want to have a discussion with your insurance agent.

How Do I Get the Best Coverage?

Many people try to get the least expensive coverage because they do not think they will ever be involved in an accident. It is a mistake to think this way. If you want the best coverage, talk to your insurance agent to go over all of the options and additional coverages available to you.

Delaware Car Accident Lawyers at Jacobs & Crumplar, P.A. can Help You if Your Friend Crashed Your Vehicle

If your friend crashed your car, you may have many questions or concerns. Our Delaware car accident lawyers at Jacobs & Crumplar, P.A. are here to help you get through this difficult time. Call us at 302-656-5445 or complete our online form for a free consultation. We are located in Wilmington and Millsboro, Delaware, and we proudly serve clients throughout Dover, New Castle County, and Sussex County.