Slip and Fall Accidents
No matter how safety-conscious and aware a person is, a slip and fall accident can happen anywhere. The majority of falls are entirely preventable, whether it happens at someone’s home, in a retail store, in a grocery market or a parking lot, in a restaurant or hair salon, at work, or any other location. Under premises liability laws, property owners and managers have a legal obligation to make sure their premises are safe and warn visitors of any possible hazards.
At Jacobs & Crumplar, our legal team has won countless victories for people like you who have been injured in slip-and-fall accidents. We pride ourselves on the personal, caring attention we provide, and the dedication we offer to each and every one of our clients. If you have been injured, we will stand up for your rights and do everything possible to recover the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
There can be many factors involved, including:
- Poor lighting
- Poor housekeeping
- Uneven floor surfaces
- Cracked sidewalks
- Unmaintained parking lot surfaces
- Wet floors
- Changes in levels
- Inappropriate floor coverings
- Faulty scaffolding on the job
- Faulty training cables on the job
The Costs of Recovery
The costs associated with injuries sustained in a slip-and-fall accident can be financially devastating. In addition to medical care, medication, and therapy, victims may need ongoing rehabilitation or medical devices. Some require special accommodations in their home, depending on the severity of the injury. It all adds up to huge costs. Moreover, recovery may be uncertain. Many slip and fall injuries can lead to long-term pain and emotional suffering as well.
At the same time that victims are dealing with the physical pain of their injuries, they may also suffer the financial effects of not being able to work. By pursuing a slip and fall lawsuit, victims may be able to recover the money they need to provide for their medical care and the needs of their family.
A Slip and Fall Accident Can Be Serious
Any slip and fall accident can result in a wide range of injuries – from minor to very severe, and even life-altering. Slip and fall injuries may include:
- Head Injuries – A blow to the head can result in a mild to severe concussion, or even a life-changing traumatic brain injury (TBI). A TBI can lead to mood changes, cognitive impairment, memory loss, severe recurring headaches, and a wide range of serious problems.
- Back and Spinal Injuries – Herniated discs, vertebrae damage, and other back and spinal injuries can be extremely painful and very difficult to repair. Injuries and strains to the back and spine can lead to chronic back pain, which can affect every aspect of a victim’s life. A slip and fall accident that causes injuries of this kind can even lead to permanent paralysis.
- Shoulder Injuries – A fall may lead to a shoulder dislocation or a brachial plexus injury. The brachial plexus network of nerves connects the spinal cord to the shoulder, arm, and hand. An injury to the brachial plexus can happen when those nerves are torn or stretched during a fall or on impact. Not only does this type of injury cause great pain, it may also limit movement.
- Fractures – Slip and fall accidents often cause broken bones. The natural reaction to falling is to reach out to try and break the fall, but that can lead to a broken arm, wrist, or hand. Any bone in the body can be broken during a fall, which can lead to excruciating pain and other issues. Hip fractures can be especially damaging to elderly fall victims; one out of five hip fracture patients dies within a year.
Wilmington Slip and Fall Lawyers at Jacobs & Crumplar, P.A. Have Experience Handling Premises Liability Cases
If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your medical costs, for the impact it has had on your life, and for your suffering. Our personal injury lawyers will evaluate your claim free of charge to determine if you have an actionable case. If so, be assured that we will put the full resources of our law firm behind you, and will work tirelessly to recover the compensation you and your family need and deserve.
To schedule a free consultation with a seasoned slip and fall lawyer in Delaware, call Jacobs & Crumplar, P.A. today at 302-656-5445 or toll-free at 800-355-1818 or contact us online. From our offices in Wilmington and Georgetown, we represent clients throughout the state, including those in Dover, Delaware.